Who should attend:
This course is designed to be relevant to all levels of staff who use substances hazardous to health at work.
This course introduces delegates to the hazards associated with substances, the risks and controls available and what to expect from a COSHH assessment
Principles of COSHH is a stand-alone Level 1 CIEH qualification, which complements the 'Health and safety in the workplace' CIEH Foundation Certificate. Successful completion of this programme will prepare participants to look carefully at their own work activities and contribute to the safer use of hazardous substances in co-operation with their managers and supervisors.
While this course can be delivered as a stand-alone qualification and there are no specific pre-requisites, it is recommended that participants should already hold the Foundation Certificate.
Definition and types of substances hazardous to health in the workplace
• What is a hazardous substance?
Health effects of hazardous substances and their causes -
• Knowing what the label says - hazard warning signs
• Occupational health problems
• Health surveillance
COSHH assessments and control options -
• Controlling hazardous substances
• The 'Hierarchy of Control'
• Occupational Exposure Limits
Responsibilities imposed by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 -
• Understanding the COSHH Regulations
• Importance of company policies and procedures
Practical issues -
• Suppliers Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
• Inventory lists
• Assessment records
• Practical assessment
• Personal protective equipment
For more details on this course or any other training please call 01271 830338 or use our contact form to request a call